GOOD NEWS is published weekly for the month. Please share with your friends and family.
Weekly Update: Sept 13, 2023
1. Organic Garden Harvest - Principal Jefferson reports a member of one of our churches came and picked corn and left a very generous donation of $50! You, too, can benefit from the PWA organic garden. There's LOTS of corn ready for harvest and your donation to the school will be greatly appreciated!
2. Standardized Testing - National Academic testing takes place 3 times a year to assess the academic performance of students and helps the teachers know where to focus attention to address the academic needs of students. The first assessment begins on Tuesday, September 19th. Principal Jefferson is requesting your assistance to provide breakfast items that will give 30 students a good start as they take these tests over the next couple weeks. Items like packets of oatmeal, fruit such as cuties or bananas, granola bars and juice boxes would be greatly appreciated for students who often come to school not having had a healthy breakfast. Can you help? Monetary donations received by this Friday would be helpful, too. You can drop off food items during school hours or donate to cash app $citytempledetroit with PWA breakfast in the comment section.
3. PWA Alumni weekend - Save the date! Peterson-Warren Academy Alumni weekend is planned for the weekend of October 13 and 14. A Friday vesper program and meet and greet is being planned for Friday evening at Peterson-Warren Academy to begin the weekend. Stay tuned for details as the plans unfold.
4. Field trip - Principal Jefferson and staff are planning a field trip for September 29 to Mexican town in Detroit for Hispanic month which begins September 15th. Please keep them in your prayers as they secure transportation to make this exciting cultural excursion a reality.
5. Spanish class - the students enjoyed their first virtual Spanish class last week. Classes will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays of each week.
6. Chimes choir forming - the invitation has gone out for students to complete an application indicating their interest to join a new chimes choir. This is an opportunity to enhance the music appreciation for our students. It is planned for grades 5-8 and high school. If there is sufficient interest, the chimes choir will be available to bless your church's divine worship service with their musical renditions.
7. Headsets needed - PWA is in need of 30 headsets for their virtual Spanish class. Headsets are only $6 each for a total of $180. If you would like to donate for the purchase of one or more headsets, you can donate one of 3 ways. 1) Drop by the school to give your donation. 2) Send a check payable to Peterson-Warren Academy and put PWA headsets on the memo line or 3) send your donation via cashapp to $citytempledetroit with PWA headsets in the comment space. The address for PWA is 4000 Sylvia Street Inkster, MI 48141. Mucho gracias!
8. PWA Facebook - please visit the official Peterson-Warren Academy Facebook page. Like, subscribe and share. Help us get the word out about the great things happening at PWA.
Weekly Update: Sept 6, 2023
1. Grandparents Day - as was previously mentioned, PWA students and staff prepared a special program yesterday, in recognition of Grandparents. Former staff member, Roberta Perry, gave a special presentation and honored Grandparents and Great Grandparents with a token of recognition. The students sang specially prepared musical selections, recited poetry and offered heartfelt prayers. The 12 Grandparents and Great Grandparents in attendance enjoyed the program immensely and were refreshed by the watermelon, cookies, juice and water. Principal Jefferson reports the program went very well and the Grandparents and Great-grandparents expressed the program was wonderful and greatly appreciated.
2. Partnership for Eternity Scholarship - We're happy to report that several students have already earned free tuition money from the Partnering for Eternity Scholarship. Congratulations to those students who are engaged in community service and developing intergenerational relationships and qualifying for the monthly free tuition of over $100. There are still a very few openings available so contact Principal Jefferson if you are interested in this scholarship. Call the school at 313-565-5808.
3. PWA Alumni weekend - Mark your calendars! Peterson-Warren Academy Alumni weekend is planned for the weekend of October 14th. Watch for more details coming soon.